Deadly Trail Mix
One of the staples of your average tail mix - raisins - spell bad news for your best trail companion. For reasons that aren’t clear, as few as seven (that is 7!) raisins - or grapes, another favorite trail snack - can prove toxic. Grape or raisin toxicity can cause acute kidney failure. Dogs are unable to pass urine, which means their systems cannot filter the toxins from their bodies, which may lead to their eventual death. (Read a case history)

Even more baffling, raisin toxicity does not affect all dogs. In one such study by the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center, one third of the dogs developed toxic poisoning from eating grapes or raisins; of which 7 died. But why risk it? Save the trail mix for yourself and pack real dog treats for your dog.

RETURN TO JULY 2009 NEWSLETTER


No Dogs Allowed?

Don’t let this happen to you

The Hiking With Dogs group on Facebook is the place to post photos and info on your favorite canine hikes. Also get questions answered and find advice from members: join now


Find a new tail-friendly trail every day at the hikewithyourdog blog...